Family life is great...

here are some of the most striking impressions that Austrian students had at home:
  • I am looking forward to cooking with my family tonight. It is very interesting to see how they prepare their food, because there are some differences to Austria and new things I can learn.
  • I like the fact that the people spend a lot of time with me: playing cards, talking about the day during the dinner and especially the sobremesa
  • My family helps me a lot with learning the Spanish language. Sometimes I can't understand a sentence and they explain it to me in detail - so my Spanish is improving a lot!
  • The first sentence they said was 'Mi casa es su casa'. That means that I am not only a guest but a family member who can use everything in the house and really feel at home. My life there is very comfortable!
  • When I arrived my host mother kissed me like my mother never does. The truth is that I liked it and I will tell my mum to hug me more often.
  • My host parents are very helpful, caring and open-hearted. They ask about my well-being a lot, so that I always feel sound and safe.
  • My family shows me around a lot and introduces me to their way of life as much as possible. I even went to church with them which is a crucial part of their culture.
  • In my house I am free to do whatever I want. My family lets me participate in day-to-day life and they even share their cooking secrets with me! I will cook Spanish dishes in Austria for sure!
  • I feel connected to the Spanish culture because of my family and the fact that they talk to me a lot. When there is something special or new, my family explains it to me in detail - so it's easy to really feel at home!